So last night we received yet another ban from Facebook. This time for three days.
I get that some of the previous photos were a little full on, but this one was very tame, and similar to dozens we’ve posted over the years.
Here it is…
Not that bad right? I mean sure it’s not nice, but it’s just a nail through a few fingers!
So that’s the end of posting workplace injury photos on Facebook. If a nail through a finger can get us banned, clearly anything could.
Anyway if you just came here for the photo, that’s it. If you want to read my rant, continue reading!
Two things about this really piss me off.
First up, it’s not just the Tradie Mayhem page that gets the 3 day ban. It’s my entire Facebook existence!
My personal account is blocked along with the business pages I run.
I can look at Facebook, but if I try to do anything, even just liking a photo, here’s what I see:
Block the page for a few days, sure, but blocking everything with no right to appeal is very tough.
The second issue is that the photo isn’t even that bad, and in my opinion doesn’t breach Facebook’s guidelines.
Here’s what they say:
“Facebook has long been a place where people share their experiences and raise awareness about important issues. Sometimes, those experiences and issues involve violence and graphic images of public interest or concern, such as human rights abuses or acts of terrorism. In many instances, when people share this type of content, they are condemning it or raising awareness about it. We remove graphic images when they are shared for sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence.”
I think it’s completely clear that our injury photos are not shared “for sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence”.
They are shared to show how the smallest moment of distraction or complacency from a tradie can result in nasty consequences.
Here are some of the comments from our supportive fans after the last ban:
“U are doing the trades a service, i show these to my apprentices as a reminder to respect the tools of the trade” Daniel.
“Keep going it makes people aware of how easy it can happen even when doing the right thing and treating the tools properly. Safety precautions can only do so much. Sometime shit just happens” Nathan.
“There’s is absolutely nothing wrong with showing people the dangers that we are exposed to everyday. And posting these pictures makes one think twice before they attempt something stupid or a bit risky and may prevent complacency. Keep up your great work.” Stuart.
“I show my husband these injuries so he doesn’t become complacent on the worksite! Blink of an eye and bang no finger… (which he’s done before) safety first!!” Sarah.
“As a HSR and all round safety person at a large, manufacturing plant, people NEED to see the result of risky behaviour.
Having your finger de-gloved is bloody horrible, yes, but it DOES serve as a graphic reminder that we ALL can become complacent doing jobs we do everyday. ” Tony.
“This was a great photo to help educate my apprentices on the dangers of power tools and correct handling procedures. it needs to be shown, to get the message across to youngsters today.” Andy.
“That sucks! Do people not realize that seeing photos like that is a helpful reminder for us to stay safe?” Jimmy.
“100% agree with comments on here. Its a great reminder as to what can go wrong if your lazy.” Dominic.
“All your pics are a timely reminder of how things can go wrong. If someone doesn’t like something on TV they can simply change the channel. Same goes for any site on Facebook. If you don’t like it, don’t subscribe.” Alan.
There are dozens more, but the point is made.
Anyway, there’s nothing that can be done since Facebook does not accept appeals for such bans.
We’ll serve our three day ban and then get back to it.
Cheers for the support.
Check out our classic stickers! Free shipping to AU & NZ.